Gynecomastia (male breast enlargement) is a relatively common condition that is seen in young males. The condition is characterized by the presence of rubber – like firm tissue beneath the nipples, and at times excess skin and fat in the breasts, giving them an enlarged appearance mimicking a female breast. Social Embarrassment is the common problem silently suffered by majority of patients, Inability to wear a T-Shirt or snug clothes, Outdoor activities, or a Swim, the lack of confidence is even seen in the posture. Gynecomastia can lead to a severe lack of self-esteem, and in some cases depression and psychological problems.
Commonest cause of Gynecomastia is Adolescent Gynecomastia which is an alteration of a normal process due to hormonal changes associated with puberty. Other causes are Drugs (Medications), Systemic Illness – Liver diseases, Hormone Disorders, Obesity, Steroids, Herbal Supplements.
Clinically there are 4 stages depending on the size and extent, and treatment varies according to the stages, Adolescence Gynecomastia (associated with puberty) normally resolves by 16 years of age, if it persists then treatment should be sought. Generally glands with size greater than 4 cms do not resolve spontaneously.
Treatment of Gynecomastia
- Adolescent Gynecomastia usually settles spontaneously by age 16. If it persists beyond, then treatment should be sought.
- Surgery is the definitive treatment, there is no effective Medical treatment for Gynecomastia.
- The type of surgery needed will depend on the stage of Gynecomastia.
- “Endoscopic subcutaneous Mastectomy” (keyhole surgery) is a minimally invasive ‘day-care’ procedure that we do for Gynecomastia. It is very popular, virtually painless and does not require hospitalization and has faster recovery.
- “Reduction Mammoplasty” is the surgery done for Gynecomastia that is large and require skin reduction.
- For advanced stages of Gynecomastia, more complex Plastic Surgery procedures might be needed.
- Our Aim of Treatment is not just to remove the gland but also to give you a well contoured Male chest, We do Liposuction in all cases to give you a muscular male torso.
The TLC Advantage
- Minimal Pain – ‘Zero Pain’ is not just a promise, its the Patients right.
- No Scar – Our Surgical technique leaves you with no scars or marks.
- No Hospitalization
- Minimal Down time – means you get back to your normal routines quicker.
- We do the largest number of Gynecomastia surgeries in South India, and our level of expertise in Gynecomastia surgeries are well recognised, Visit us to see our results.